Thursday, March 5, 2009

Dinner Tonight!

Welcome to the Dinner Tonight! blog. Each week you will see a Texas AgriLife Extension Agent demonstrate a quick meal suitable for your family's dining pleasure. In addition to the video, recipes and nutrition information are available.

The Taco Soup recipe shown today is one that I’ve used for years simply because it is quick, easy, and good! It has enough meat and vegetables to satisfy any appetite. I turn on the crock pot when I go to work and my family’s entrĂ©e is ready when I come home. All I have to do is make cornbread or get out a box of crackers and we have a nourishing meal for the family. Now, that is fast food!

Here are a few tips that work for me:


  • Make a menu for a week at a time.
  • Check pantry and refrigerator for ingredients and purchase necessary items for each recipe.
  • Review recipe in advance for any preparation steps that need to be done ahead of time.
With a little planning, a busy family can eat a nutritious, low-cost dinner together. I hope your family enjoys this recipe. Don’t forget to use the link to subscribe to this blog in order to get weekly updates!

Donna

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Donna! Congratulations on an excellent video! I'm looking forward for 'meals to come'. Kudos to the originator of this site!
Mary Mauldin, MWV in Smith County.

Donna said...

Thanks, Mary, for starting our discussion! There will be many more meals and recipes to come. Dr. Susan Ballabina, our Regional Program Director for Family and Consumer Sciences in the East Region is the "mastermind" of this website. She always has us doing something new and stretching our abilities!!!

Donna

Christi Foster said...

What a wonderful idea. It is just what I needed to get back on track of cooking healthy meals, reduce spending, and most of all getting everyone back to the table. Many thanks!

Christi