Thursday, July 2, 2009


Picky Eaters? Vacation Time? What to do?

When families are on vacation what a better time than that to expand on the ‘same old’ dinner time meal? Often times on vacation, new foods are introduced at restaurants and other people’s homes. If you have a picky eater in your family try some of these tips to get through meals.



  • Most often, while you are on vacation, you are not the one cooking, therefore you are more relaxed. Family members pick up on this relaxed mood and know that the pressure is off. Afterall, when you take out the “I’ve been slaving over this dinner and you are going to eat it” factor, your anticipations go way down.

  • When people try new foods, their environment is associated with that food. Think about the last time you tried a new food—were you with good friends? Having a good time? I remember I took a very picky eater with me on a trip recently. Everything she eats has to be done a certain way and any alternative of is just ‘yucky’ to her. When we got home, she was so excited to tell her mother that now she eats mustard with her turkey sandwiches instead of mayonnaise or salad dressing. This youth has worked hard to educate her palate during her 4-H foods and nutrition years and she has introduced many new foods into her diet—all while on trips with good friends and while having a great time!

  • Sometimes there is added stress at home during meal times with sports practices, cleaning up the kitchen, doing homework, getting the kids to bed on time, and preparing everything for the next day. While on vacation, you have the perfect setting to try new foods.

    Expanding a picky eaters palate:

  • Try introducing new foods by letting your picky eater try a taste from your plate. This way money is not wasted if they don’t like it.

  • Choose restaurants that have foods you know your picky eater will like. If there is something familiar on the menu, they will more than likely try something new and different when on vacation than when at home.

  • Don’t introduce picky eaters to new foods when they are tired, in an unpleasant mood, and hungry. Instead, wait until everyone has had a fun experience and then take them to a new eating establishment where some foods might seem familiar but different. Even foreign foods can be adapted to fit your picky eaters taste.

  • Watch your own attitude and feelings in front of the picky eater. If they see you being picky and rejecting certain foods, they will pick up on it and know that it is acceptable to do the same. Don’t fight with them on it. When they are ready, your picky eater will introduce new foods into their menu. Be patient!

    Want to get your kids involved in foods and nutrition? Join Texas 4-H! Every county in the state of Texas has a 4-H & Youth Development Program, call your Texas AgriLife Extension Office today and find out how to join and get involved.

2 comments:

Sandra said...

I found the "picky eaters" idea interesting, since I've never outgrown being picky and I am in my "late" 40's! My husband & I are both a bit picky. We don't eat very many fruits or vegetables! But when we travel, especially on a cruise ship, we tend (at least I do!) to choose something just to try, since I can get something else if I just can't eat it! If I go to a restaurant, I am a little choosier about getting something I am not familiar with since the cost is a factor and I will have to pay if I don't like it, rather than get a free replacement!
Maybe families can object to letting their kids try something new on vacation, as this suggests, and then incorporate the new item into meal planning after they get home! I don't think my parents used this option........!

Unknown said...

Hi Sandra,

Yes, most definitely, trying new foods at home is an option and certainly the most desirable. Anytime you can incorporate a new food into meal time for children and even 'picky' adults to try--it's a winner for all!

Thanks,
Dee Lee