Friday, August 28, 2009

A Thought About Food: Family Mealtime + Fitness = Full Esteem Ahead

This recipe is one my family enjoys! This recipe is usually prepared by my husband for our family! I hope you will give it a try.
Think about this! August 24, 2009 was the first day of school for my son and daughter. My daughter, Shuncy, entered the 7th grade at Marlin Middle School and my son, KT, entered the 5th grade at Marlin Elementary School. On the morning of August 26, 2009, my daughter who had completed two days of increased activities including band, cheerleading and volleyball practice, exited the front door on her way to school while making the following statement, "Mama, make sure you have something cooked and ready for me to eat when I make it home." Her statement, brought to mind the important message we have been communicating through this blog. Her statement also reminded me of the major role that I play in making sure she receives daily nutritious meals. This is a major role because there is so much substance in the meals I provide her. Substance? Yes! The nutrition is substance! The time we spend together while consuming the meal is substance! It provides nourishment and contributes greatly to the self-esteem of each family member. I use to hear the saying full steam ahead when I was a child and it meant onward determination. I hope this blog motivates you to move forward in providing healthy meals for your family. Research shows that youth who have a balance of quality family time, physical fitness and healthy meals do better in school and life. For more information on this research visit the Cooper Institute at www.cooperinstitute.org/our-kids-health/index.cfm.
We as parents, play a major role in contributing to the self-esteem and substance of our family. Do the math! Family mealtime + Fitness = Full Esteem Ahead!

No comments: