Friday, August 6, 2010

Easy Cheesy Chicken

I have to start off by thanking my mom for this one. This recipe is one that I have been enjoying since I was a young child and now, I am still preparing in a snap for my family (including my in-laws!) on a regular basis. It is an easy, hearty and healthy meal perfect for the whole family.

As we all know, the cost of food has dramatically increased in the last few years. As result, my family and I have tried to be as thrifty as possible when we hit the grocery store every week. While this recipe is relatively inexpensive, I wanted to share a few cost saving tips for this recipe I have found to work well for my family.

1. To save on the chicken, substitute frozen chicken breasts or chicken tenders instead of using whole, fresh chicken breasts.

2. Consider using store brand soups. Most stores, now carry their own brand of low-sodium and/or low-fat cream of chicken soup. Other cream soups such as, cream of celery or cream of mushroom also work well for this recipe and are typically less expensive.

3. Make your own bread crumbs from leftover bread. Simply allow the bread to be exposed to air (leave the package open) over night and crumble it up the next day.

4. While the recipe calls for Swiss cheese, any variety of cheese works well. Use the variety that is on sell.

I hope these tips help reduce your food budget and the time spent in the kitchen!

Happy eating!

Sarah

No comments: